Nurse Login

Eligible Bridging Programs for Internationally Educated Nurses Registering for the First Time

Nov. 2, 2022

Applicants who have never worked in a Canadian jurisdiction may need to take a bridging education program before they can receive a permit. These assigned courses help fill any potential education gaps that may be identified.

Three universities offer these courses in Alberta: MacEwan University (nursing specialty courses), Mount Royal University (Bridge to Canadian nursing program), and the University of Alberta (Bridging workshop pilot project). The seats on these programs can be limited, and steps are being taken to expand access.

Additional Eligible Programs

As part of our efforts to transform the application process, the College of Registered Nurses of Alberta now recognizes bridging programs approved in other jurisdictions by their regulatory authorities. Internationally educated applicants who have never been registered in Canada before can now take and use these courses and programs to meet their assigned education outcomes.

British Columbia 

Kwantlen Polytechnic University 

  • Baccalaureate registered nurse program 
  • Baccalaureate registered nurse program – Second degree 
  • Registered nurse re-entry for internationally educated nurses 
  • Professional studies health 

Langara College 

  • Nursing practice in Canada post degree re-entry diploma 

Thompson Rivers University 

  • Return to registered nurse practice certificate 


Red River College Polytechnic 

  • Bridging program for internationally educated nurses  

New Brunswick 

New Brunswick Community College 

  • New Brunswick Canadian-educated nurses (CEN) re-entry/internationally educated nurses bridging program 

Newfoundland and Labrador 

Eastern Health 

  • Internationally educated nurses bridging/registered nurse re-entry program 

Nova Scotia 

Nova Scotia Health Learning Institute for Health Care Providers 

  • Registered nurse bridging/re-entry program 

St. Francis Xavier University 

  • Internationally educated nurses program 


Conestoga College 

  • Enhanced practice for internationally educated nurses (for international students applying from overseas only) 

Fanshawe College 

  • Bridging for internationally educated nurses program and nursing in Ontario 

Ontario Internationally Educated Nurses Course Consortium 

York University 

  • Post-registered nurse internationally educated nurses bachelor of science in nursing program  


Saskatchewan Polytechnic School of Nursing 

  • Registered nursing bridging program for internationally educated nurses 

Currency of Practice and Education 

The CRNA recently extended how long registrants can use their bridging education to meet their currency requirement during permit renewals. They can be used for five years, rather than two years. This is in addition to the other currency changes.