Aesthetic nursing is the provision of specialized procedures for the purpose of cosmetic treatment such as, but not limited to, dermal fillers, volume enhancers, collagen stimulators, lipolysis and neuromodulators. This area of practice is constantly evolving and could include more procedures.
The roles and responsibilities of a nurse performing aesthetic nursing procedures may vary by jurisdiction. It is the responsibility of a nurse coming from another jurisdiction to be familiar with the scope of practice in Alberta.
The newly amended Personal Services Regulation and the Personal Services Standards came into force on July 1, 2020 and establish minimum health and safety requirements for the personal services industry. Personal and health services may overlap. All nurses providing aesthetic procedures and treatments need to be aware of the all requirements relevant to their practice, as outlined in the personal services regulation and standards.
If you are the owner of an aesthetic nursing clinic and provide any of the services identified in the Personal Services Regulation, you must notify the Regional Health Authority (RHA), providing your name and contact information, address and location of the business, and the types of services you will provide. This must be done by Sept. 30, 2020. You must also notify the RHA prior to offering any new personal service/activity.
Please visit the following web page for more information – https://www.alberta.ca/personal-services-regulation-and-standards.aspx
Frequently asked questions
The purpose of this FAQ is to inform all nurses in Alberta about their professional responsibilities and accountabilities related to aesthetic nursing practice.
This FAQ was developed collaboratively by the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta, College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses and the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta. Members of the above regulatory bodies should contact their respective organizations if they have any questions about this document or wish to seek practice guidance about this topic.
Aesthetic nursing FAQ
- Do aesthetic procedures fall within my scope of nursing practice?
- Is there a difference between esthetic procedures and aesthetic procedures?
- Do I need further education to provide aesthetic procedures?
- Documentation and record keeping - Is it required?
- Do I need to obtain informed consent?
- What are my infection prevention and control (IP&C) responsibilities?
- What do I need to know about liability and self-employed practice?
- Who can prescribe neuromodulators and dermal fillers?
- What are the rules governing prescribers?
- What are the considerations for procurement and storage of medications and substances?