I am a member of the public
Protecting the public
We are the regulatory body for more than 38,000 registered nurses and nurse practitioners in Alberta.
As a nursing regulator, our focus is keeping patients safe by taking the necessary steps to ensure Albertans receive safe, competent and ethical nursing care.
We do this by:
- setting the qualifications for entering the profession and and issuing practice permits only to those who meet the requirements
- taking action when a member of the public, an employer or a registrant submits a complaint about a registered nurse or nurse practitioner
- ensuring registrants are maintaining their nursing competence in their practice
- approving nursing education programs in Alberta
- developing and enforcing professional and ethical standards
For questions on other health professions such as registered psychiatric nurses, licensed practical nurses, midwives, physicians or surgeons, please contact their regulator.