Pap test unsatisfactory rates – what to knowJan 12, 2021
Some reasons for ‘unsat’ results
- Empty vials with only preservatives and no patient samples
- Use of lubricant jelly, which interferes with specimen processing
- Recommended that only lukewarm water is used
- Poor sampling technique
- Post-menopausal status
- Use of personal lubricants, spermicidal jellies, or hormonal creams
- Remind patients to avoid using these products at least 48 hours before the appointment
Remember, Pap test collection procedures vary slightly depending on which lab kits your practice uses. We encourage you to take a moment to review the applicable collection procedure guide: Alberta Precision Laboratories; DynaLife.
Visit screeningforlife.ca for more information and resources.