Returning to practice
Glad to have you back! If you were previously registered as an RN in Alberta and would like to return to practice in Alberta, follow the steps below.
Note that the Sept. 1 deadline for permit renewal does not apply to you. You need only ensure you have a permit before you begin work or the orientation period with an employer.
Once submitted, your application goes into a queue. The time it takes to hear back from CARNA on the success of your application may vary due to whether you need to complete additional steps, and/or the volume of applications in process. During membership renewal (July to September) application volumes are extremely high and likely to result in delays.
How to apply
Please fully complete each of these steps so your application can be processed
Phase 1: Return to practice assessment
- Sign in to MyCARNA, go to Apply for Registration, and complete the return to practice assessment online application. This application includes a non-refundable assessment fee.
- If the application is not set up on your account, please contact registration services at 780.451.0043 ext. 548 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email email@example.com or mail us clear scans or photocopies of: one piece of government-issued
photo identification and one other piece of government-issued identification. If applicable, any name change documents will be required (such as a government-issued marriage certificate). Keep in mind:
- We do not accept faxed documents. They are often unclear and cause delays in processing your application.
- Your complete legal name and date of birth must show on your identification and must be consistent on all identification provided.
- Marriage certificates and SIN cards are not counted as pieces of identification.
- Report your practice hours to ensure you meet the currency of practice requirement.
- If you haven’t reported your practice hours for the past five membership years (October 1 – September 30) please complete the currency update form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Haven’t practiced 1,125 hours in the last five membership years? You may be required to complete a nursing refresher program before you can return to practice.
- If you practised outside Alberta since last being registered with CARNA:
- Complete the Verification of Registration form and forward it to the appropriate jurisdiction for completion. You need to provide verification from each jurisdiction you have been registered with in the past five years. This includes other regulated professions such as LPN, or paramedic for example.
- Provide an employer reference. Arrange for your current or most recent employer to complete the employer reference form and send directly to us.