Council shall appoint a Registered Nurse as CEO & Registrar of the College. The CEO & Registrar is responsible for the operation of and overseeing the administration of the College as directed by the Council from time to time and in accordance with the Act and Bylaws. The CEO & Registrar reports to Council.
Duties and Powers (Bylaws)
The Chief Executive Officer and Registrar shall perform all duties required of and exercise the powers provided to the Registrar in the Act, the Regulations and these bylaws.
The Registrar may:
- consider applications for registration and applications for a practice permit,
- undertake any other power or duty given to the Registrar under the Act, the regulations or
- these bylaws, and
- subject to sections 19 and 20 of the Act, execute any powers and duties delegated by
- Provincial Council.
If the practice permit or registration, or both, of a regulated member has been cancelled, the registration and practice permit are not to be reinstated except by order of the Registrar, who may refer the matter to the Registration Committee.
The Registrar may in their sole discretion decide to refer any application for registration or practice permit to the Registration Committee or the Competence Committee for their determination.
The Chief Executive Officer and Registrar may delegate in writing any of their duties and responsibilities to another person with or without conditions.
Acting Chief Executive Officer and Registrar
- If the office of the Chief Executive Officer and Registrar becomes vacant or the Chief Executive Officer and Registrar otherwise becomes incapable of acting for any reason, Council may appoint an Acting Chief Executive Officer and Registrar, who shall have all the powers and duties of the Registrar under the Act, the Regulations and these bylaws.
- The Acting Chief Executive Officer and Registrar holds office until:
- The Chief Executive Officer and Registrar again becomes capable of acting;
- Council appoints a new Chief Executive Officer and Registrar; or
- Council terminates the appointment of the Acting Chief Executive Officer and Registrar
The CEO & Registrar shall:
- Serve as the organization’s principal leader, representative and spokesperson to the greater community
- Support Council:
- Ensure integrity and strength of Council leadership and address issues around clarity of role, governance, bylaws/policies, Health Professions Act provisions, corporate structure.
- Assist with the orientation of new Council members.
- Prepare reports to Council and attend various Council meetings.
- Convene and lead the executive team:
- Participate in the recruitment, interview, selection and evaluation process for direct reports and other key executive level positions.
- Contribute effectively to an engaged team of professionals living the College’s cultural values and driving towards the organization’s strategic goals.
- Instill the College’s cultural values throughout the organization.
- Develop leaders and systems that contribute to achieving strategic goals.
- Ensure that staff demonstrate the College’s values and are accountable for results.
- Strategize the organization’s short-term and long-term strategic goals, particularly in organizing and planning:
- Identify overall resource development goals and budget related to the College’s statutory function
- Establish, maintain and cultivate relations with internal and external stakeholders and other resources to support organizational programs and activities
- Maintain accountability for current year operating budget and for financial performance of the organization
- Ensure the effective implementation of the College’s annual operational plan within the approved budget.
- Effectively manage the College’s capital assets.
- Contribute effectively to sustainable organizational excellence.
- Design, prioritize and implement strategies to address known critical risks.
- Leverage data to evaluate effectiveness of current programs.
- Contribute effectively to safe, competent, ethical nursing care:
- Integrate Right-Touch regulation and risk-based decision-making throughout all regulatory processes, programs, policies and procedures.
- Identify areas where new or amended regulatory tools and processes are required.
- Evaluate and continuously assess regulatory processes, programs, policies and procedures to ensure implementation of best practices and promising practices to protect the public.
- Engage the public, RNs, employers and other stakeholders to understand their needs and enhance the transparency of regulatory processes:
- Represent the College as outlined inGovernance & Communications Protocol.
- Contribute effectively to engagement, influence and leadership at the College.
- Continue to be a leader in cultural sensitivity, humility and indigenous health in Alberta.
The CEO & Registrar has the right to attend and speak at all meetings of the Council and its Committees; however, the Council may hold brief in camera sessions at these meetings in the absence of the CEO & Registrar in order to review their performance and to deal with significant governance matters not benefiting from their presence.
 In the case of Bylaws references, these are direct citations: at times these refer explicitly to the “Registrar” only, at times to the combined position (in full).