Council may establish governance policies addressing, among other matters, the appointment, composition, quorum and procedures for the Registration Committee, Registration Review Committee, Continuing Competence Committee and the Nursing Education Program Approval Committee.
Duties and Powers
There is hereby established a Registration Review Committee, which shall carry out the duties and powers of Council under Section 31, Section 32 and Section 41 of the Health Professionals Act (Act).
The Registration Review Committee hears appeals of decisions of the Registrar, Registration Committee and Competence Committee
- The Registration Review Committee shall be composed of not more than eight (8) persons appointed by Council, of which at least 50 percent shall be college appointed public members.
- The Chair of the Registration Committee shall be selected from members of the Committee by Council, on the recommendation of the Nominating Committee in consultation with the committee.
- The Chair can be either a registered member or a college appointed public member
Prohibition on Membership
No member of the Registration Review Committee shall be a member of Council, a Hearing Tribunal, the Complaint Review Committee, Reinstatement Review Committee, Registration Committee, Competence Committee or NEPAC.
Term of Office
- The term of office of each member of the Registration Review Committee is three (3) years.
- To facilitate staggered terms, the term of one-third (1/3) of the committee will expire each year.
- The term of office of the Committee Chair is two (2) years. The term of the Chair will end if the their term of office ends and a successor is appointed.
- A member of the Committee and the Committee Chair may serve for two (2) consecutive terms.
- A member of the Registration Review Committee continues to hold office after the expiry of the member’s term until the member is reappointed or a successor is appointed.
- If a vacancy occurs on the Registration Review Committee, Council may:
- appoint another person as a member of the Committee; or
- leave the vacancy unfilled, unless the membership would be reduced below three, in which case another person shall be appointed as a member of the Registration Review Committee.
- At least three (3) members of the Registration Review Committee shall hear and decide on an application for review under the Act. A member of the Registration Review Committee who does not participate at a meeting or hearing due to a conflict of interest or bias, shall still be included in determining the quorum for that hearing or meeting.
- A decision of the Registration Review Committee shall be by a vote of a majority of the members present and voting at a meeting.
Conduct of Meetings
The Registration Review Committee shall, subject to the Act, determine its own rules of procedure, calling of meetings, conduct of hearings, and matters related to them. Meetings of the Committee are held in private unless otherwise determined by the Committee.
- Except as otherwise provided in this Charter, all proceedings of the Registration Review Committee are confidential.
- Each member of the Registration Review Committee shall keep information received by them as a member of the Committee confidential.
- Information given to the Registration Review Committee shall be disclosed only in accordance with the Act, the Regulations, and these Bylaws, or as otherwise required by law.
- The Registration Review Committee may authorize the disclosure of information for statistical use when the information cannot be attributed to a particular individual or facility.
- The CEO & Registrar shall not disclose any information respecting a matter before the Registration Review Committee unless the information is required to be disclosed for the purpose of the Act, the Regulations or these Bylaws or as otherwise required by law.