6. Council Appointments
6.1. Eligibility for Council
- A regulated member is eligible for appointment as a member of Council if they are registered in good standing on the Registered Nurse Register or the Nurse Practitioner Register.
- A regulated member is in good standing if they
- Have no fees, costs, fines, levies or any other sums owing to the College;
- Have a valid and current practice permit that is not currently suspended; and
- Are in compliance with all orders or directions made pursuant to the Act.
6.2. Nominating Committee
- At least ninety (90) days prior to the end of a Registered Nurse member of Council’s term, the Nominating Committee will identify which Registered Nurse member of Council positions are expiring and send out a call for applications for appointment to Council positions to each regulated member on the Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner Registers.
- The call for applications will specify the date for the receipt of applications and the eligibility criteria approved by Council, including the Competencies and Attribute Profile.
- Upon receiving the call for applications, a regulated member may request an application form from the Nominating Committee.
- A regulated member who is interested in applying for appointment or reappointment to Council shall submit an application form to the Nominating Committee.
6.3. Nominating Committee Vetting Process
- The Nominating Committee vetting process applies to both new candidates and incumbent Council members who are eligible and seek reappointment.
- After the close of applications, the Nominating Committee shall
- Review all applications;
- Vet the applicants’ competencies and attributes against the Competencies and Attributes Profile and any other eligibility criteria approved by Council; and
- Recommend to Council applicants for appointment or reappointment and applicants not recommended.
- Council will consider the Nominating Committee’s recommendations and approve the appointment of eligible applicants to fill vacant Council positions.
6.4. Ineligibility for Council
Notwithstanding article 6.1.(a), a regulated member is not eligible to be appointed as a Registered Nurse member on Council or as Chair of Council, or must resign from Council, if they:
- Are elected to federal or provincial public office;
- Occupy a senior position (Assistant Deputy Minister or higher) with the Government of Alberta;
- Are a member or officer of a Health Authority Board;
- As their primary responsibility in the course of their employment represents a health authority or any other nursing employer in collective bargaining or in proceedings under a collective bargaining agreement with regulated Registered Nurses;
- As their primary responsibility in the course of their employment represents regulated Registered Nurses in collective bargaining or in proceedings under a collective bargaining agreement with a health authority or any other nursing employer, or who negotiates or sets fees charged by regulated Registered Nurses for professional services or guidelines on fees charged by regulated Registered Nurses for professional services on behalf of regulated Registered Nurses;
- Are employed by the College
- Notwithstanding article 6.1(a), a regulated member is not eligible to be appointed as a Registered Nurse member of Council if they
- Have outstanding orders or directions made pursuant to the Act that have not been discharged;
- Have been formally charged with unprofessional conduct that has not yet been determined by a hearing tribunal;
- Have been found guilty of unprofessional conduct within the preceding five (5) years; or
- Have been found guilty of unprofessional conduct related to sexual abuse, sexual misconduct or any sexual boundary violation at any time in any jurisdiction including outside Canada.
A candidate may withdraw from the application process at any time by notifying the Nominating Committee or the College office in writing or via email.
6.6. Announcement of Appointments
The College will officially announce the names of successful applicants within 14 days of Council approving the appointments.