Nurse practitioner exams
Before you apply
- Please ensure you hold current RN registration in Alberta or a Canadian jurisdiction, have practised at least 4,500 RN hours satisfactory to the registrar, and meet one of the following requirements:
- You hold RN registration with CARNA and have completed an approved nurse practitioner education program in Alberta.
- You have completed a recognized Canadian nurse pracitioner program.
- You have completed an NP program outside of Canada and the Registration Committee has approved your application for NP registration with the requirement to write the registration exam for your stream of practice.
- You have been approved to add a stream of practice by the CARNA Registration Committee and have completed the requirements as set out by the Committee.
- Candidates with a professionally-recognized diagnosis of a disability, impairment, condition or disorder may request for custom testing arrangements.
Exams by stream of practice
NP exams vary based on the stream of practice to which you are applying. Each exam provider has its own process.