Graduate nurse practitioner permit
While waiting to complete NP registration requirements, nurse practitioner graduates may submit an application for a graduate nurse practitioner (GNP) permit so that they may engage in the full scope of nurse practitioner practice within the parameters of the practice context. GNP applicants:
- are Alberta registered nurses who have completed a Canadian NP program
- have met all requirements for registration except passing the NP registration exam appropriate to the stream of practice of their education
GNP permits have the following conditions:
- Indirect remote supervision: an NP is readily available by phone or on another adjacent unit. Applicants who fail their exam once may have the condition of indirect supervision.
- Pass the NP registration exam appropriate to your stream.
- Complete the jurisprudence requirement and the Protecting Patients from Sexual Abuse and Misconduct requirement.
How to apply
- Complete and forward the Confirmation of Nurse Practitioner Program Completion to the educational institution where you completed your program.
- Email email@example.com or mail us clear scans or photocopies of: one piece of government-issued photo identification, one other piece of government-issued identification, and if applicable, any name change documents such as a government-issued marriage certificate. Keep in mind:
- We do not accept faxed documents. They are often unclear and cause delays in processing your application.
- Your complete legal name and date of birth must show on your identification and must be consistent on all identification provided.
- We do not count marriage certificates as pieces of identification.
- After we have received and reviewed your program completion form, we will set up the GNP application and email you detailed instructions.
- Sign in to MyCARNA, complete the GNP permit application, and submit the GNP permit fee.
- We will contact you by email when your GNP permit has been approved.
Renewing your permit
GNPs hold two practice permits and are required to ensure both permits are active:
- An RN practice permit, which needs to renewed annually.
- A GNP practice permit that is valid for up to 12 months and must be renewed one month prior to the expiry date.
If the RN permit expires, the GNP permit is no longer valid. If the GNP permit expires, only the RN permit is in effect and you can no longer engage in the additional restricted activities authorized for NPs.
- If the GNP renewal application is not available on your account, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the GNP renewal application. Please ensure you begin this process at least one month before your current GNP permit expires.
- Sign in to MyCARNA, complete the GNP renewal application, and submit the GNP permit fee.
- If you have practised on a GNP permit and it has been more than six months from your program completion date, arrange to have a physician or NP colleague who has observed your practice send the GNP Practice Reference and NP Employer Reference to CARNA.
- We will contact you by email when your GNP permit has been approved or renewed.