Our vision, mission, and values
CARNA exists so that the Alberta public is assured of safe, competent, ethical nursing care and excellence in nursing practice by an effectively regulated, advancing, and progressive profession at a cost that demonstrates responsible stewardship of resources.
View our strategic directions for more information.
Excellence in nursing regulation and practice for the health of all Albertans.
To serve the public by:
- regulating registered nurses in order to promote and support safe, competent, ethical nursing care; and
- providing progressive, innovative leadership that encourages professional excellence and influences health policy.
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistent, fair, honest and open communication and behaviour.
- Respect: Accepting and appreciating diversity and difference. Listening with tact and sensitivity.
- Accountability: Answering to and accepting responsibility for decisions, actions and results within one's sphere of authority. Includes transparency.
- Professionalism: Adhering to standards of behaviour that reflect positively on the profession of nursing and on the organization.