GP14A - Complaint Review Committee Charter
|Policy Number:||GP 14A||Effective Date:||April 1, 2021|
|Last Review Date:||March 2021||Next Review Date:||March 2022|
|Review Frequency:||Annually||Related Supporting Documents:|
The Hearings Director shall establish a Complaint Review Committee pursuant to Section 16 of the Act.
Duties and Powers
The Complaint Review Committee (CRC) may:
- review and ratify settlements under the Act;
- conduct reviews under the Act; and
- undertake any other power or duty given to it under the Act, the Regulations, or the Bylaws.
- A Complaint Review Committee shall be comprised of no fewer than four individuals with at least 50% being public representatives appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council under s. 13(1)(b) of the Act and the balance being Registered Nurses appointed by the Council to the membership list established in section 15 of the Act.
- The Hearings Director shall designate a member of a Complaint Review Committee as Chair.
- The Chair can be either a registered member or a government appointed public member.
Prohibition on Membership
No member of a Complaint Review Committee shall be a member of Council, a Hearing Tribunal, the Reinstatement Review Committee, Registration Committee, Registration Review Committee, Competence Committee or NEPAC.
Term of Office
- The term of office of Registered Nurse members on the membership list established under Section 15 of the Act is four (4) years and may be extended for up to two additional years.
- The term of office for the Chair of the Committee is two years.
- Registered Nurse members and the Chair may serve for two consecutive terms.
- A member of a Complaint Review Committee may continue to hold office after the expiry of the member’s term until the member is reappointed or a successor is appointed.
- A quorum of the Complaint Review Committee is four members with at least 50% being public representatives.
- A decision of the Complaint Review Committee decision shall be by a majority vote. If a Complaint Review Committee is sitting with an even number and there is a tie vote, then the Chair shall cast a second and deciding vote.
Conduct of Meetings
Subject to the Act, a Complaint Review Committee shall determine its own rules of procedure, calling of meetings, and matters related to them. Meetings of the committee are held in private unless otherwise determined by the committee.
- Each member of the Complaint Review Committee shall keep information received by them as a member of the Complaint Review Committee confidential.
- Information given to the Complaint Review Committee shall be disclosed only in accordance with the Act, the Regulations, these Bylaws or as otherwise required by law.
- The Complaint Review Committee may authorize the disclosure of information for statistical use when the information cannot be attributed to a particular individual or facility.
Council appoints regulated members to and removes regulated members from the Complaint Review Committee membership list.