20. Complaint Review Committee
20.1. Duties and Powers
A Complaint Review Committee established under Section 16 of the Act may:
- Review and ratify settlements under Section 60 of the Act;
- Conduct reviews under Section 68 of the Act; and
- Undertake any other power or duty given to it under the Act, the Regulations, or these Bylaws.
- The Hearings Director shall establish a Complaint Review Committee from the members appointed by Council to the membership list established in Section 15 of the Act.
- A Complaint Review Committee shall be comprised of no fewer than four individuals with at least 50% being public representatives appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council under Section 13(1)(b) of the Act and the balance being Registered Nurses appointed by the Council to the membership list established in Section 15 of the Act.
- The Hearings Director shall designate a member of a Complaint Review Committee as Chair.
20.3. Prohibition on Membership
No member of a Complaint Review Committee shall be a member of Council, a Hearing Tribunal, the Reinstatement Review Committee, Registration Committee, Registration Review Committee, Competence Committee or NEPAC.
20.4. Term of Office
- The term of office of Registered Nurse members on the membership list established under Section 15 of the Act is four years.
- The term of office of Registered Nurse members may be extended for up to two additional years.
- A member of a Complaint Review Committee continues to hold office after the expiry of the member’s term until the member is reappointed or a successor is appointed.
- A quorum for a Complaint Review Committee is four members with at least 50% being public representatives.
- A decision of a Complaint Review Committee shall be by a majority vote. If a Complaint Review Committee is sitting with an even number and there is a tie vote, then the Chair shall cast a second and deciding vote.
20.6. Conduct of Meetings
Subject to the Act, a Complaint Review Committee shall determine its own rules of procedure, calling of meetings, and matters related to them. Meetings of the committee are held in camera unless otherwise determined by the committee.
- Each member of a Complaint Review Committee shall keep information received by her/him as a member of a Complaint Review Committee confidential.
- Information given to a Complaint Review Committee shall be disclosed only in accordance with the Act, the Regulations, these Bylaws or as otherwise required by law.
- The Complaint Review Committee may authorize the disclosure of information for statistical use when the information cannot be attributed to a particular individual or facility.
Council appoints regulated members to and removes regulated members from the Complaint Review Committee membership list.