6. Council Election
6.1. Eligibility for Council
- A person nominated for membership on Council shall be a Registered Nurse.
- A Council member is eligible to be nominated for no more than two consecutive terms.
6.2. Nominating Committee
- The Nominating Committee vetting process applies to both new candidates and incumbent Council members who are eligible and seek re-election.
- A Registered Nurse who is interested in running for Council shall submit an application to the Nominating Committee.
- The Nominating Committee shall review all applications and vet the applicants’ competencies and attributes against the Competencies and Attributes Profile approved by Council.
- The Nominating Committee shall determine which applicants are recommended to be a candidate in the Council election and those who are not recommended.
6.3. Nomination for Council
Nomination of a candidate for election to Council requires:
- The names and support of at least five Registered Nurses;
- Consent of the nomination from the candidate.
6.4. Ineligibility for Council
A Registered Nurse is not eligible to be nominated for membership on Council or as Chair of Council, or must resign from Council, if they:
- Are elected to federal or provincial public office;
- Occupy a senior position (Assistant Deputy Minister or higher) with the Government of Alberta;
- Are a member or officer of a Health Authority Board;
- As their primary responsibility in the course of their employment represents a health authority or any other nursing employer in collective bargaining or in proceedings under a collective bargaining agreement with regulated Registered Nurses;
- As their primary responsibility in the course of their employment represents regulated Registered Nurses in collective bargaining or in proceedings under a collective bargaining agreement with a health authority or any other nursing employer, or who negotiates or sets fees charged by regulated Registered Nurses for professional services or guidelines on fees charged by regulated Registered Nurses for professional services on behalf of regulated Registered Nurses;
- Are employed by the College